One Last Hurrah Before Buckledown Time

As an avid fisherman —a man from a long line of Maryland fisherman — any chance Matt gets to fish he jumps on it. Clearly, there is not much fishing going on in Baltimore City (you see it but I wouldn’t trust those fish) so he has to plan trips to the Eastern Shore.

I ended up not running this week (not that I couldn’t) because Matt got a last minute call from his dad asking for him to fill a vacated spot on a chartered boat trip. We instantly booked a Zipcar (Phelpsy), packed our bags and drove off into the cool August night. But there was a snag, Kevin the boat captain called to say his boat broke down: there would be no fishing trip.

I sort of felt bad for Matt not being able to fish (not really he has a trip in October), but it ended up being like a mini vacation and it totally recharged me for the rest of my training. Friday morning was chilly and overcast but the day turned out sunny and lovely so we went to the beach with the in-laws. After a few hours in the sun we went over to De Lazy Lizard to sit in Adirondack chairs and watch the boats on the bay. Some 10-year-old boy in a, “I’m Scoring And You’re Boring” t-shirt tried to sit next to me but I shooed him away. A guitar player strummed songs of love lost probably because his girl went back to college the week before.

The most oddly interesting part of the day though was watching the saga of some kid’s flip flop that fell into the water. He tried to retrieve it but to no avail. As it washed away from the dock the young lad gave a gentle wave good bye, but things took a turn as the shoe got caught up in the current and started to float back toward the dock. He was now joined by his brother and father all trying to figure out if it’s going to come back to where they can grab it. As they followed it back to the other end of the dock, everyone is now watching. The flip flop was soon nicknamed Flippy and the crowd watched the bobbing piece of rubber slowly move along. Eventually, a group of Jet Skiers came by and everyone was shouting for someone to grab it. A nice young man picked it up and drove it over to the boy. People cheered and he said thank you, put on the wet shoe and walked away happy. It was a rather compelling moment.

The sun set and we made the drive back to my in-laws where they just installed a brand new hot tub spa in their backyard. We showered the sand off, grabbed a Dos Equis and got in awaiting the return of my mother-in-law with rib eye steaks.  We grilled the steaks as we sipped on margaritas, cooked corn and picked and sliced some fresh tomatoes from the garden. I really couldn’t tell you the last time I had a day so perfect.

Saturday, was horribly rainy so there wasn’t a lot for us to do. Matt and I drove to our favorite sandwich place and had a few beers as we watched the window waiting for our escape back to the house. That night we picked crabs (probably the last time for the season) and drank more cocktails. We ate until we burst and drank until we got drunk. I think it was a nice send off to summer and the last glut before I truly have to buckle down and start working on the hard part of the training.


About charmcityrants

Charm City Rants is written by Jeanne-Michele Vigna, a certified group fitness instructor, an avid traveler and seeker of knowledge, plus an expert of Eurovision and hot dogs. She lives in Baltimore with her husband and two cats. Plus, she obviously likes to complain.
This entry was posted in Baltimore, Baltimore Half-Marathon, Baltimore Running Festival, Exercise, Running and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s